If a child under the age of 8 is in the Library without a parent or caregiver, Library staff of volunteer on duty will:
attempt to comfort the child, if necessary;
- locate the parent or caregiver in the Library, explain the Child Safety Policy, and provide a copy of the policy to the parent;
- make reasonable efforts to contact the parent or caregiver who is not in the Library to come and pick up the child; and
- inform the Director or, in the Director’s absence, a trustee who will then call the Sheriff’s Department, to pick up the child if the parent or caregiver cannot be located after an appropriate time.
Library staff will exercise appropriate procedures to ensure the safety of unattended children when the Library is closing.
Parents are responsible for being aware of the times the Library opens and closes. Parents must also keep in mind that the Library may close unexpectedly for reasons out of the control of staff.
If an unattended child of any age is in the Library within 15 minutes of closing time Library staff or volunteer on duty will:
- Contact the child’s parent or guardian and/or ask the child to do so. If a parent or caregiver cannot be reached or does not arrive within 15 minutes following closing, Library staff or volunteer on duty will then call the Director or a trustee who will then call the Police, to pick up the child;
- Remain with the child until the parent or caregiver or police arrive
- Leave a note on the Library door stating “Unattended child is in the custody of the Sheriff’s Department” once the child is in the care of the police. Names will not be stated on the note;
- Not transport any child from the Library to another location (Library staff cannot give rides to any unrelated child.)
If an unattended child of apparent school age is in the Library during school hours, the Library staff or volunteer on duty will call the appropriate School and will inform the child that the school will be notified of his/her presence at the Library during school hours.
Each incident in which a child has been asked to leave the Library or in which an unattended child has been present after closing will be reported in writing to the Director and the Board of Trustees.
Violation of these policies may result in the suspension of Library privileges for the family.